Are you still thinking about participating in Veganuary? For today’s post, I’ve got a little collection of pre-packaged foods that can make your life a little easier. These are all things that can be purchased at places like Whole Foods, Earthfare, or similar stores. Sometimes you can get these items at your local grocer (and check Super Target as they seem to be doing a better job lately of carrying these things).
All of these items were purchased with my own money, and they are all things I use on a regular basis.
- Amy’s Vegan Mac & Cheese: I used to eat the heck out of the regular mac and cheese. This might actually be better. I am not kidding. It is absolutely delicious and tastes pretty much like the real thing.
- Field Roast makes a number of great products. Their cheese (called Chao) is the best vegan cheese on the market. It is the only vegan cheese I can eat straight out of the package. It melts just like real cheese, and you can use it to make a grilled cheese sandwich. Have this with a bowl of tomato soup, and you are good to go! The Boyfriend is a big fan of their sausage links.
- By the way – if you are into making a vegan grilled cheese, after you get yourself some Chao start thinking about adding some vegan bacon. Sweet Earth makes a great one. I found it refrigerated at Whole Foods but in the freezer at Super Target (with the alternative meats).
- While Field Roast makes a great vegan sausage, I’m kinda partial to Tofurkey. They come in multiple flavors (I love spinach pesto), and I can get them at the local grocer (in the produce section with the tofu).
- Earth Balance makes a number of products, but I go to them for my vegan butter. It works just like actual butter (I don’t know about baking), and tastes fine. Yes, I’ve tried it straight up. I had to! Most places carry this now.
- You might have noticed I haven’t said a lot about snacks. My current favorite thing is the Vega Snack Bar. I get the dark chocolate, nuts, and sea salt. It’s pretty good in terms of having a relatively low sugar content (compared to most bars). It’s way better than a Kind bar. Be careful. You will get addicted and start ordering them by the case. You can buy these at Whole Foods to try.
- I’m not a big breakfast person. I either eat one of those Vega Snack Bars or, lately, I’ve been using the Vega Nutritional Shake (chocolate, of course!). Mix it with almond milk.
- Get yourself some almond mild. Whatever you like. I’ve never had a bad brand. I tend to go with original. You can use it for shakes, hot chocolate, and pretty much anytime you would use milk. You can bake with it too – just sub it in for the same amount as regular milk. Everyone is carrying Almond Milk now. Even Food Lion.
- I reviewed Hungryroot awhile back. While not all their meals are vegan, some are. They have sweet dessert items (pudding and cookie dough) that are also vegan. It will only take you 10 minutes to make a meal.
- Finally, buy some hummus! Hummus goes on anything. You can put it on vegetables, pretzels, bread – anything! You can make it, but if you are not into that just go get whatever your favorite thing is. Also, remember that fruit is vegan. 🙂 You can eat that all you want during Veganuary (and after of course!).
So there you have it, a collection of pre-packaged foods that can serve you well during Veganuary. If you wanted to, you could have a shake for breakfast, mac and cheese for lunch, and a sausage with some veggies and a carb at dinner. See how easy this is? You got this.